What are the ways of using coffee hoop filter cup, grinding scale and brewing method? What's the difference between the coffee and the coffee made from V60?
About half a month ago, Qianjie shared the ice pupil filter cup with the "distant relatives" Ice pupil B75 filter cup, but today Qianjie would like to share with you one that has won the honor of SCA's best product of the year in 2023 since its launch. It is the Hoop filter cup from Italian coffee equipment manufacturer Ceado.
(water injection cap on the left and powder filter tower on the right)
The word Hoop itself means circular, and when you see the appearance of the filter cup, it is clear that it is named after the shape of the filter cup. Unlike the conical or flat-bottomed filter cups we usually use, the hoop filter cup separates the powder trough from the water injection zone, that is, the "water cap" specially used for water injection and the "filter tower" for powder loading.
In other words, when we use it to brew coffee, the water does not need to be directly poured on the coffee powder, but directly poured into the "water crown", and the water located in the outer ring water cap will seep in through 12 small holes in the filter tower. to form a "horizontal injection" extraction method.
To use this filter cup, we do not need to consider the method of cooking, the strength of water erosion and other human factors, just need you to determine the extraction parameters, pour the water into the water crown, wait for the water to seep in and complete the extraction. It sounds very friendly to the buddies who are just getting started and whose water injection techniques are not stable. Needless to say, Qianjie will try this filter cup right away.
According to the official release of Ceado, the usage of Hoop is as follows:
1. Put the round filter cup paper in the middle of the filter cup, screw up the filter tower and tighten the filter paper.
2. After wetting the filter paper with hot water, pour the coffee powder into the filter tower
3. Pour the required amount of water into the annular water crown in one breath and wait for 3-4 minutes to finish the filtration.
The beans used in the front street are Colombian double anaerobic sun claw. Compared with the coffee brewed with V60 filter cup, the coffee extracted by Hoop filter cup will be more sweet, and the overall berry and grape flavors have been well performed, but the drawback is that the taste is relatively thin and the aftertaste is not long.
The specific parameters are as follows: coffee powder 15g, water injection 225g, grinding 20 sieve 80% (ek43s 10 scale), water temperature 94 ℃, ratio of powder to water 1:15, extraction time: 3 minutes 45 seconds.
This is because the Hoop filter cup is a slow extraction method that relies on water "horizontal filling", which is similar to immersion extraction as a whole, so Qianjie adjusts the grinding parameters of coffee beans a little bit on the basis of daily production, and at the same time, because it is necessary to pre-inject water into the water crown before it is really in contact with powdered water, the water has the phenomenon of losing temperature in this process, so it is necessary to raise a certain water temperature to keep the extraction water temperature stable.
In addition to the specially treated beans, Qianjie also tested a medium-to-shallow baked Yegashifi (Kochel) and medium-deep baked Indonesian gold Mantenin for comparison.
Kochel treatment plant water wash Yega Xuefei: coffee powder 15g, water injection 225g, grinding No. 20 sieve 75% (ek43s 10.5scale), water temperature 93 ℃, powder-water ratio 1:15, extraction time: 3 minutes 35 seconds.
Indonesia gold Mantenin: coffee powder 15g, water injection 225g, grinding for No. 20 sieve 85% (ek43s 9.5scale), water temperature 88 ℃, ratio of powder to water 1:15, extraction time: 6 minutes 30 seconds.
Through many times of debugging, it is found that the water temperature of the medium and shallow roasted Kochel coffee beans needs to be raised to 94 ℃, and the grinding should be adjusted to 75% of the screening rate of the No. 20 screen (ek43s 10 scale) relative to the daily cooking screen 20 (ek43s 10.5 scale), so that the familiar lemon acid and citrus blending can be extracted while avoiding bitterness, and compared with the normal V60 filter cup. The coffee brewed from the Hoop filter cup will be sweeter, but the taste is still thinner.
As for the medium and deep baked gold Mantenin, many experiments have found that it is necessary to fine the grinding to 85% of the pass rate of the No. 20 sieve (ek43s 9.5 grid) and "warm up" with 30g of water, and the extraction time will be about 6 minutes and 30 seconds. Only by adjusting the extraction parameters can Manning's own nut chocolate flavor be well performed. although the extraction time is longer, it does not bring out the unpleasant astringent flavor. Compared with the daily brewing of kono filter cup in front street, the coffee extracted by Hoop filter cup can get more sweetness, and the whole cup of coffee is very smooth and good to taste.
A little bit of rough experience:
1. Although the Hoop filter cup does not need to consider the stability of water injection, it has higher requirements for the grasp of extraction parameters (especially the degree of grinding). It often requires many experiments and adjustments to find a bean that wants to show its flavor.
2. Although the Hoop filter cup is designed for 1-2 people, its size directly catches up with the ordinary 3-4-person filter cup. The bottom mouth of the filter cup is so huge that it is not easy to find a suitable pot. (at the beginning of Qianjie, the sharing pot of hairo could not hold the filter cup, and it would wobble reluctantly, so he took the cold pot as the sharing pot.)
3. When you put the filter paper, you must check whether the whole "filter tower" is sealed, otherwise it is easy to pour water and the coffee powder will flow down the river into the sharing pot.
4. During the extraction process, it is not recommended to move the Hoop filter cup at will, otherwise it is easy to ooze coffee powder into the "water cap"
5. Pay attention to the powder after the extraction! Aim the filter cup at the trash can and unscrew the filter tower! Don't ask the front street how to know, as soon as the filter tower unscrews the coffee powder, it will press the filter paper to do vertical fall movement, and if it is not connected properly, the powder will be splashed everywhere. )
6. The official website price of the Hoop filter cup is $40, which will cost nearly $280. if you want to get it, you should "look before you leap".
Front Street Cafe
No. 10 Baoqian street, Yandun road, Dongshankou, Yuexiu district, Guangzhou, Guangdong province
Coffee prices remain high due to bad weather in some parts of Brazil
Recently, the prices of Arabica coffee and Robusta coffee continue to rise. Because Brazil updated the weather forecast, reducing the possibility of rain in coffee-growing areas in Brazil. And Brazil's currency, the real, climbed to a two-week high of 1-1 pound against the dollar, and a rise in the exchange rate would also lead to lower exports. Robusta coffee is expensive.
What's the difference between hanging-ear coffee and instant coffee? How is the hanging-ear coffee made? What is the temperature of its water and the way it is cooked?
The popularity of hanging-ear coffee is far beyond our imagination, because of its convenience, it can be taken to any place to make coffee! However, it is only popular to hang up ears, and some people still have some deviations in the way it is used. This is not to say that hanging-ear coffee can only be used traditionally.